Sir Gregory Hall, Esq· Sir Gregory Hall, Esq· is offline

Default Seeking Raymarine Raystart RS125 GPS owners in Fernandina Beach FL to Brunswick GA

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Mon, 2 Sep 2013 18:47:00 -0400, " Sir Gregory Hall, Esq·"
åke wrote:

I often marvel at how some people operate fifty-foot motor yachts worth
a million bucks and hanging off the bow is a 30 pound SS Danforth -
in other words, all show and no function. So why does somebody
with half a million dollars worth of motor yacht justify using a cell
phone for navigation??

===

I don't think anyone does that. I sometimes use mine in the dinghy
(protected by a zip lock bag), and it is also one of my numerous back
up devices. The charts are surprisingly decent, and although not as
good as my Furuno/C-map, they are a small fraction of the cost.

As an FYI, we use a 88 pound Rocna on all chain. Great anchor.

That's MUCH better! But, you would be the exception, rather than the
rule when it comes to stink potters. Honestly, some large powerboats
(fifty-foot range) with a lot of windage arrive in my home anchorage from
time to time and not a few of them drop a polished SS plough or chromed
Danforth-style that weighs all of 30 pounds. Then they commence to
drag in even normal winds of 15-20 knots. Then they try again, and again,
and again. Do they even notice the 50 pounds of grass and mud clogging
their anchors - apparently not.Then they try backing down on it as if that's
going to give them different results. It takes them sometimes an hour or
so of futility before they finally give up and go elsewhere.

Such ineptitude is generally a function of the stink potters. A sailboat will
arrive and they generally have anchors as large or even larger than they
need for the size of their boat and they seem to have much greater
success and hold well until a severe thunderstorm with 60kt winds
happens to blow in and then they are on their way downwind frantically
trying to get things back under control.

--
Sir Gregory

--
Sir Gregory