Sir Gregory Hall, Esq· Sir Gregory Hall, Esq· is offline

Default Tired of cleaning comorant **** out of your dinghy???

I've got a spare rowing dingy - a Dyer Dhow - besides
my little, motorized, fiberglass dinghy which I use primarily
because it's so light (45 pounds). After removing the
little 2.5HP Suzuki motor, I can lift it by hand, flip it
upside down and stow it on the custom pushpit I made
and installed on the transom of my fine blue water cruising
yacht, "Cut the Mustard". It is generally ill-advised to tow
a dinghy whilst sailing offshore and sometimes in
anchorages that have a lot of current it's a pain in the
butt to tie a dinghy off the stern as it often ends up alongside
where it bumps and bangs when wind is against current.

But, when I go off cruising for a few days or a week or
a month, I come back to a real mess on the moored
Dhow (It also keeps assholes from picking up my
mooring when I'm away) as the cormorants just love
to swim up to it, hop aboard and sun themselves. And,
of course, they relieve themselves copiously to boot.
What a freaking smelly mess they make. And, it's
not just one or two. I've seen up to eight of them on
the dinghy at one time before I ran their smelly asses
off. But they are persistent and they soon come right
back.

Well, I showed them! I went to the hardware store and
bought three, 8-foot wooden slats that I cut up into 2-foot
sections for a total of 12 each, 2-foot slats. These I screwed
vertically and spaced evenly onto the outside of the hull
using SS Phillips head screws and SS finishing washers.
Then I got out some 20-lb nylon fishing line I have in stock
and used it to string four rows of line about four inches apart
from deck level and up.

No cormorants have gotten aboard since I completed
the project. No more cleaning out stinky, smelly fresh
and dried cormorant ****! Sometimes I'm so smart
I even manage to impress myself.

Photos to follow.

--