Tony Thomas

Default gas tank question

By the way, gasoline weights 6 lbs per gallon. This is why it floats on
water (which is 8 lbs per gallon). Both numbers are rounded slightly and
will vary depending on exact octane of fuel, altitude, temperateure, etc...

--
Tony
My boats and autos - http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"Wildest Dream" wrote in message
its not a law to have an anchor either but it is at least suggested I just
took the coast guard course last winter and aced the test 100% and I
remember it being mentioned in the class, it may have said recommended,

but
if u want to risk pouring gas into your boat with or without a cabin is up
to you frankly my dear I thought the original reply poster said it was too
heavy and I agreed and still do, I also thought that gas has the same mass
as water and knowing water = 8.33lbs./gal. I thought it was the same I

could
be wrong on that, that was a guess, I'm not that interested in the subject
that much anyway, just saying I wouldn't put my boat and my crew (family)

in
that hazardous situation, I wish we had somebody hear from the CG, or the
Aux. GL hope this doesn't start a FIRE !
"F330 GT" wrote in message
We were talking about, and the thread is based upon, the notion of

portable
fuel tanks.

John,

I agree. And I said that if it's feasible it should be done. It was also
brought up that "red" tanks are considered portable and "grey'" tanks

are
for
"built in" use. Mine is a "red" tank that is built to be removed from

the
boat.
In fact I use it for both of my boats when going to the Bahamas. It's

still
considered a portable tank.

And further, a 12 gallon tank full weighs 100lbs plus the weight of the

tank.
Is that portable or not? If you want to remove it from your boat before

filling
it, fine. Show me where the law requires it, please.

If you can't fill a portable gas tank without spilling it all over your

boat,
maybe you shouldn't be boating.

Barry