F330 GT

Default gas tank question

Wildest Dreams wrote:

its not a law to have an anchor either but it is at least suggested I just
took the coast guard course last winter and aced the test 100% and I
remember it being mentioned in the class, it may have said recommended, but
if u want to risk pouring gas into your boat with or without a cabin is up
to you frankly my dear I thought the original reply poster said it was too
heavy and I agreed and still do, I also thought that gas has the same mass
as water and knowing water = 8.33lbs./gal. I thought it was the same I could
be wrong on that, that was a guess, I'm not that interested in the subject
that much anyway, just saying I wouldn't put my boat and my crew (family) in
that hazardous situation, I wish we had somebody hear from the CG, or the
Aux. GL hope this doesn't start a FIRE !
"F330 GT" wrote in message

We were talking about, and the thread is based upon, the notion of

portable
fuel tanks.

John,

I agree. And I said that if it's feasible it should be done.

Barry

From the US Coast Guard page on fire safety:

"(Fuel tanks secured so they cannot be moved in case of fire or other emergency
are considered permanently installed. There are no gallon capacity limits to
determine if a fuel tank is portable. If the weight of a fuel tank is such that
persons on board cannot move it, the Coast Guard considers it permanently
installed.) "

Apparently, by C.G. standards, my 18 gallon portable tank is actually
permanently installed. The original posters 12 gallon tank could also be
considered permenently installed if he can't lift it while full. Feel free to
fill it in your boat, if you'd like. Just use prudent care.

Kind of bizarre.

Barry