Earl[_91_] Earl[_91_] is offline

Default Barbecue Grill Advice - Could Be On Topic

iBoaterer wrote:
In article ,
says...
John H wrote:
On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 20:28:12 -0400, Earl wrote:

John H wrote:
On Mon, 24 Jun 2013 19:53:17 -0400, Earl wrote:

Califbill wrote:
"Earl" wrote in message

On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 08:46:37 -0700, "Califbill"
wrote:

We bbq mostly chicken, pork and fish. If you have a wood burning grill,
then you will get more flavor. Gas, you might as well use the
broiler. We
have an electric skillet with a broiler lid, so not even a lot of
mess to
clean up.
That is why I throw hickory chips in there.
I have a spare "floater" from my spa that I drop in a bucket of water
with a handful of chips and let them soak an hour or so and they smoke
up real good.
For chicken or ribs I sometimes use charcoal. Put the charcoal in,
fire up the gas and when the charcoal is good and hot, turn off the
gas. Just be sure to use pure charcoal, not that chemical laced "match
light" stuff.
I use my smoker about once a month. There is no need to soak the
smoking wood. It's actually better to get as much early smoke as
possible. When the meat is "sealed" from the heat it can't absorb much
more smoke. I learned this many years ago but started with the same
theory as you - to provide constant smoke by soaking the wood.
-------

Not soaking the chips get flames and little smoke in my experience.

There are two sides on that subject. I use both larger pieces and chips
with similar results and plenty of smoke. Maybe you need to use more
smoking wood? The wet chips delay the process. You want the meat to
get hit with a lot of smoke as early as possible.
I learned that also, use chips with a few larger chunks on top. The chip start smolder quickly and
get the large chunks going.

I don't have problems with flames, but that may be because I use an electric element and a baking
pan for the chips.

John (Gun Nut) H.
I put the smoking wood right on the red-hot charcoal. That would make a
difference.
Try wrapping them in some tin foil.

John (Gun Nut) H.

The key is early smoke and a lot of it. Tin foil would slow that down.

The key is low and slow.

Sure - as far as temperature is concerned for cooking the meat. The
smoke has to be introduced early.