John H[_2_] John H[_2_] is offline

Default Barbecue Grill Advice - Could Be On Topic

On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 01:19:48 -0400, JustWaitAFrekinMinute wrote:

On 6/22/2013 1:17 AM, wrote:
On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 18:08:17 -0400, John H
wrote:

On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 17:30:45 -0400, JustWaitAFrekinMinute wrote:

Ooooops. it's white oak that makes it sour... **** oak we call it or
swamp oak... Sorry for the other post, I am sure it will turn into a
huge pee pee measuring contest for some here

You know what? I never asked which oak. You may have something there. I'll have to check it out in a
little more detail. Thanks.

John H.

I think he is talking about black oak AKA pin oak. It is the one with
the skeleton like leaves.
White oak has rounder leaves without all the sharp points and makes
great fire wood or flooring because it has a very straight grain. You
can split a pretty big log with a hatchet.
Red oak is what they make a lot of furniture out of. The grain is not
as straight and it is stronger. It is good firewood too but harder to
split. I think I would want white oak for smoking but that is just a
guess.

Yeah, I am totally confused.. I have no idea which oak I am supposed to
use. Guess I will have to stick with the chunk of hickory I have here...

What I've been using is white oak. I didn't have any red oak trees in the back yard. Actually, all
my oaks are white, except the friggin' pin oak in the front.

For white oak leaves, think dairy queen ice cream cone - all round edges piled up from the bottom.
For red oak, think fire - sharp flames going out from a source. For pin oak, don't think.

John H.
--

Hope you're having a great day!