Boating All Out Boating All Out is offline

Default Barbecue Grill Advice - Could Be On Topic

In article ,
says...

On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 11:26:10 -0400, "F.O.A.D." wrote:

I figure it is dangerous enough eating barbecue without having bits and
pieces of year old food from previous grillings falling onto it. I
don't mind a "patina" of grease and whatever on the grill, though I do
like keeping the grates reasonably sanitary.

How would your bits and pieces of year old food from previous grillings fall onto your food? My bits
and pieces fall through the grate, and I don't ever put new food under the grate. In fact, I've
never even heard of that.

Seen old pieces of food on the grill many times, but it
can't "fall on your food."
Depends on whether you clean up before or after. Meat
falls and wraps on the underside when you spatula for
flipping or removing what you're cooking. Sticks there
and cooks itself on. If you shut down there and then,
it'll be there when you come back.
No danger, since you'll burn most of it off with the new
preheating/cooking. Looks very unappetizing though, so I
clean it off before putting new food on.
I don't like any old greasiness on the grill when I start
cooking. Dry carnon only.
If there's plenty of heat left from the coals and I have
the time, I'll flip the grill and brush so it's ready for
the next cooking.
Most the time I cook/brush it clean when I start the new
cooking. Flipping and cleaning the underside is part of
my routine. I use plenty of charcoal when cooking for a
hot cook, and take the pre-clean into account.
Standard 22" Weber, been sitting outside 16 years now.