John H[_2_] John H[_2_] is offline

Default Barbecue Grill Advice - Could Be On Topic

On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 17:30:45 -0400, JustWaitAFrekinMinute wrote:

On 6/21/2013 4:14 PM, John H wrote:
On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 15:18:36 -0400, wrote:

On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 15:08:28 -0400, John H
wrote:

On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 13:02:05 -0400,
wrote:

On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 08:46:37 -0700, "Califbill"
wrote:

We bbq mostly chicken, pork and fish. If you have a wood burning grill,
then you will get more flavor. Gas, you might as well use the broiler. We
have an electric skillet with a broiler lid, so not even a lot of mess to
clean up.

That is why I throw hickory chips in there.
I have a spare "floater" from my spa that I drop in a bucket of water
with a handful of chips and let them soak an hour or so and they smoke
up real good.
For chicken or ribs I sometimes use charcoal. Put the charcoal in,
fire up the gas and when the charcoal is good and hot, turn off the
gas. Just be sure to use pure charcoal, not that chemical laced "match
light" stuff.

I have tried soaking the chips and using them dry. I can tasted no difference in the flavor. Now I'm
cutting up chunks of oak for the smoker. Work and taste well.

John H.

In a gas grill, dry chips just burst into flames.

I never tried oak. I did get a bag of mesquite and that is not a
flavor I am trying to achieve. Some around here say buttonwood and
orange are good but I haven't tried that either.

Oh, I was thinking a smoker. For the gas grill I wrap the chips in tin foil, punctured several
times. Works pretty well.

At one of the Bluegrass festivals, 'Pickin' in the Panhandle', there was also a BBQ contest. It was
like the ones you see on TV, with the trailer mounted smokers and grills - big hummers!

There was also a 'pulled pork' contest for amateurs. Each of the contestants were given half a pork
shoulder, about a ten-pound chunk, to prepare for judging.

I took a walk amongst those folks and asked lots of questions, like 'What kind of wood do you use?'.
Almost all of them used oak - regular chunks of oak firewood. Since I've got about two cords of the
damn stuff chopped up in my back yard, it's quite handy. I just chunk it up with a chop saw.

John H.

Ooooops. it's white oak that makes it sour... **** oak we call it or
swamp oak... Sorry for the other post, I am sure it will turn into a
huge pee pee measuring contest for some here

You know what? I never asked which oak. You may have something there. I'll have to check it out in a
little more detail. Thanks.

John H.
--

Hope you're having a great day!