F.O.A.D. F.O.A.D. is offline

Default Barbecue Grill Advice - Could Be On Topic

On 6/21/13 5:29 PM, JustWaitAFrekinMinute wrote:
On 6/21/2013 3:08 PM, John H wrote:
On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 13:02:05 -0400, wrote:

On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 08:46:37 -0700, "Califbill"
wrote:

We bbq mostly chicken, pork and fish. If you have a wood burning
grill,
then you will get more flavor. Gas, you might as well use the
broiler. We
have an electric skillet with a broiler lid, so not even a lot of
mess to
clean up.

That is why I throw hickory chips in there.
I have a spare "floater" from my spa that I drop in a bucket of water
with a handful of chips and let them soak an hour or so and they smoke
up real good.
For chicken or ribs I sometimes use charcoal. Put the charcoal in,
fire up the gas and when the charcoal is good and hot, turn off the
gas. Just be sure to use pure charcoal, not that chemical laced "match
light" stuff.

I have tried soaking the chips and using them dry. I can tasted no
difference in the flavor. Now I'm
cutting up chunks of oak for the smoker. Work and taste well.

John H.

Oak will make your meat sour... Be very careful not to get any bark in
there either...

Uh, what if you just want your steak, chicken or burger to taste
like...oh, a steak, chicken or a burger?

I put a little olive oil on the chicken parts I plan to cook on the
grill, then lightly salt and pepper them, and cook them skin side down
for about 20 minutes. Then I flip them over, put some barbecue sauce on
the skin side that is now "up," and cook them for maybe another 15 minutes.

No wood chips. Tastes just like barbecued chicken. No "smokey" taste,
either, which neither of us here like.