posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats
[email protected] Phantman00@gmail.com is offline

Default Navigation question (Projecting a waypoint w/GPS)

On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 18:56:22 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:
wrote in message ...
On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 11:07:36 -0500, wrote:

Using a Garmin's Waypoint Projection feature, and projecting a
waypoint at 90 degrees, shouldn't my projected waypoint end up on
the
same latitude as the original? And if not, why not?

For example, beginning at 30 degrees N latitude and 89 degrees W
longitude, I project a new waypoint at a distance of 10 miles with a
bearing of 90 degrees. As expected, my projected longitude changes to
a point further east. But for some reason, the projected latitude
ends up at a higher latitude than 30 degrees. In my example, the
projected latitude ends up as 30 degrees, 23.866 Minutes North.

I've tried using the same example on 3 different Garmins with the
same
result. What am I missing?

===

I'm not all that familiar with Garmin units or that feature but lets
do a little thought experiment and see if we can figure it out. If
it is going to create a new waypoint at 90 degrees, wouldn't that be
at 90 degrees to your present course-over-ground (COG)? If so, the
new waypoint would be on your present latitude only if your COG was
due north (0 degrees true) or due south (180 degrees true). Am I
missing something? Is your unit set up to report directions as "true"
or "magnetic"? If magnetic, that would account for your discrepency.

Does that Garmin navigation system have an input from a fluxgate
compass on the boat as well as receiving the satellite data?

No, I'm using a simple handheld Garmin 76Map maybe 10 years old. And
the projection feature doesn't use either compass or satellites to do
the projection calculation. Doesn't even matter if the unit is in
simulation mode, it can still do the calculation. It's a fairly
standard feature on Garmin handhelds as well as lower end fixed mount
Garmins. I'm not very familiar with high end Garmin units or other
manufacturers but I would guess it would be standard with them too.
You plug in a location (lat/lon), then plug in a distance and bearing.
It instantly gives you the projected Lat/Lon.