Gould 0738

Default OT--Weaslyl watch begins

While you may hear the idea expressed in this NG or the talk shows by a few
people, most thinking conservative or liberals do not feel that one's
political ideology effects one ability to be a "patriot" or one's love of
country. A few radical talking heads might express that view, but it is
still a small percent of the citizen.

The talking heads who regurgitate this rubbish are wildly successful. Ann
Coulter's book accusing all liberals of being "traitors" sold how many million
copies? Too many people without the time and energy to think for themselves are
too eager to repeat the latest whiz-bang sound byte as a substitute for
legitimate opinion.

The largest audiences in the country are listening to right wing radio. It
would be hard to convince me that most of those listeners don't generally agree
with the sentiments expressed. All too many of them are quick to repeat, word
for word, the latest slogan circling the bowl. Emotional arguments develop when
people from one side or the other cannot logically support their opinions, and
cannot do so because the opinions have been handed to them rather than
developed through a normal process.

If there's going to be any choice in the next election, it will have to be
provided by the D's. The R's are sticking with the horse that pulled the cart
to this point.

Too darn bad the R's don't have a candidate like the guy who gave the following
speech. Comparing this speech to the current, miserable state of civic
discourse is really shocking. There is a lot more emotional energy these days,
more bitterness and rancour than before. Again, I think it's because many
people haven't done the homework to understand *why* they have a certain
opinion, they believe what they are told is best for the country.
That observation applies to the left as well as the right.

I like the following Republican's comments about controlling government
spending:

http://www.polsci.ucsb.edu/projects/...pages/reagan1s
u.html

He was concerned about a "trillion dollar debt." How times have changed. We're
paying a significant portion of that much every year in interest alone on the
current debt. :-(