Doug Dotson

Default Ham Radio Licenses

No fees for either the ham licenses or the GROL, GMDSS, etc.
Just the cost of taking the test which goes to the testing center.
In the case of ham it goes for the out-of-pocket expenses for
the VEC, VE, and club that administers the test (usually around $7).
For the GROL etc, I took my tests at a Sylvan Testing Center
and the cost was around $25.

Doug, k3qt
s/v Callista

"William G. Andersen" wrote in message
My opinion is that most licenses today are really fees; and the government
makes the processes so complicated that they cost more to run than they
collect in revenues.

"Rick" wrote in message
k.net...
Larry, W4CSC wrote:

"I have a 1st Phone (now expired, dammit)
on my wall I worked very hard to get. I keep the damned GROL giveaway
hidden in a drawer, just because they say I have to have it to work on
marine radios. The old 1st Phone MEANT something to the employers and
your peers. It was a badge of accomplishment. It put you in a
fraternity of technicians with proven skills. GROL is a joke. Just
like the Volunteer Examiner ham licenses, it wouldn't surprise me if you
could buy one for $500 under the table.

By the way, the GMDSS operator and servicer tests are a pain in the
ass....(c;"

So where is this GROL license, Larry? couldn't you find the $500? The
FCC doesn't list you as having anything other than a ham license.

"I passed.... "

Passed gas maybe ... The FCC license database doesn't list your name.

What's going on, Larry? How come the FCC doesn't have you in the license
database?

Rick