Jack Painter

Default MMSI

"Dick Locke" wrote
Which reminds me to ask...is there any way to test the distress button
capability on my VHF? I mean a legal way...

Hi Dick,

The one word answer is Never. But when Rescue-21 is fully implemented, there
may be a way to send a safety test message w/reply requested to a particular
MMSI (ie: USCG, or any ID) on VHF. But pressing and holding the "DISTRESS"
button alone will never be allowed for "testing". That will initiate
callouts on Ch-16 and start a SAR case rolling. It already happens in my
local area once or twice a month, and the operator inevitably claims "the
thing just went off, sorry". The thing will go off when the plastic cover
is lifted, and the distress button held down for at least three seconds. I
guess we wll always here about how guns "just went off" too... ;-)

Best regards,

Jack