Peter Bennett

Default SURGE/SPIKE PROTECTION IN ELECTRIC CCTS

On 6 Jul 2004 14:24:34 -0700, (Rob) wrote:

Hi,

I am thinking through the wiring diagrams of my vessel and plan to
have all the items that I run when motoring - Nav GPS and fluxgate,
VHF, Radar, windscreen wipers, etc etc supplied from the load side of
the the engine battery switch. I will have a relay in the power
supply to the switch panel which is activated when the accessory
position of the ignition switch is selected - rather similar to car
electrics.

My concern though is engine generated elec spikes in the system when
operating the starter and any effect they might have on the equipment.

There are probably millions of boats where the electronics are
connected to the starting battery (not even using the accessory
position on the ignition switch, if such a thing exists) with no
problems.

The only problem (annoyance, really) is that when you crank the
engine, the battery voltage may drop low enough to turn some equipment
off, or to cause the microcontrollers in some things to reset.

--
Peter Bennett VE7CEI
email: peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca