Rick

Default MMSI

Jack Painter wrote:

Unfortunately, the entire database maintained by BoatUS/West etc turned out
to be useless. It was a great idea and encouraged boaters to be instantly
registered with an MMSI. But that database went nowhere and is of no use to
a Rescue Coordination Center. I do not know what went wrong with that plan,
but only the FCC issued MMSI are considered international, and we certainly
can't maintain dual-systems. If a boater already has a BoatUS MMSI they
should apply to the FCC for a new one.

It must have seemed like a good idea to someone (in WM marketing
probably) but I agree that unless the info is maintained by one
governmental entity it is difficult to see how the system can work properly.

GMDSS has been a bit of a mess since day one in many ways but I cannot
fault the FCC for making the issuance of an MMSI part of the vessel
station license.

It seems like many users do not bother to license a voluntary ship
station so perhaps the manufacturer should preprogram the MMSI in each
unit and the seller would then mail in a card with the purchaser's
information to the FCC.

Rick