Peter Bennett

Default HELP, Boat CB Radio Question!

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 20:16:29 +0930, "BruceM"
wrote:

If you're in Australia mate, disregard the experts & just get a cheap CB
radio like you have. Only difference is that the one you bought is used on
land & mostly by truckies etc. You need the marine band version of the 27
meg radio to talk to that channel 68. It is possible to get the crystals put
in (changed) to be able to use the one you have but for about $40 you get a
newbie!!
CB stands for "Citizens Band"............. now choose "marine" or otherwise.
BruceM

After a little research, I find that Australia does have a 27 MHz
marine radio service - however, I expect that service is unique to
Australia - it certainly doesn't exist in North America.

Judging from his address, the original poster is in Canada, so will
need a radio capable of operating on the international marine VHF
band. In Canada, VHF channel 68 is an intership/ship-shore channel
that may be used (in some areas) by marinas. (This is _definitely_ not
the same as the Australian 27 MHz channel 68!)

--
Peter Bennett VE7CEI
email: peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca