Sir Spamalot

Default NiCAD Memory Effect

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 16:44:50 GMT, "Floyd I Johnson"
wrote:

OK, so there's no memory effect. But, why do I have to regularly change out
the rechargeable batteries of my cordless phones, dustbuster, laptop,
electric toothbrush, flashlight, ect.?
1,000 recharge cycles? ........rubbish!

Because the chargers supplied with the consumer grade equipment is
improperly charging the batteries from the get-go. If they are
charged **correctly**, and discharged **correctly**, no memory.

And Larry is also right; the consumer buys into the "rechargable"
aspect without verifying if the battery is being charged correctly in
the first place.

For consumer equipment, I've noticed that overdischarging, which is a
major cause of failure for any rechargable battery, is ignored.

Does your dustbuster have an overdischarge shutoff? I bet not.

SS