Larry W4CSC

Default NiCAD Memory Effect

"Ed Price" wrote in
news:0CxAc.24993$0z6.18587@fed1read07:

I wonder if NiMH chemistry shows the same effect?

Ed
wb6wsn

Nope. Why anyone would STILL be using NiCd batteries remains a mystery to
me. Even my Garmin VHF HT has 2300 mAH NiMH batteries in it. They'll run
it a whole weekend, now, instead of the 5 hours it would run on the Garmin
cheapy NiCd crap that came with it. I'm using the same drop-in charger
with the 12V charging cord (has a regulator or resistor bauble that has a
green LED and gets warm while it's in the charger. Takes 2 days to recover
these monsters, the biggest NiMH 'AA' cells I could find.

I used to carry around alkaline battery-loaded Garmin packs for when the
rechargeable went dead. No longer an issue, now.

I dumped the batteries in my old Eagle GPS, too. It's running on 4 of the
NiMH 2300 mAH monsters. The battery meter shows about 2/3 of full voltage
because they are only 1.2V cells in a GPS made for alkalines. But, alas,
it reads 2/3 of full voltage for DAYS, not hours, now...(c;

NiCd batteries are always provided because they are DIRT CHEAP....It's
always about the profits.

Larry