Doug

Default USCG and HF SSB, cannot count on being heard?

About a month ago Group Portland (MSO Portland, OR) started using Sector
Portland. This went on for a week and then they went back to Group Portland.
I believe they jumped the gun on the switchover to the Sector call sign.
Doug K7ABX
"Jack Painter" wrote in message
"Bob" wrote

Larry W4CSC wrote:
As soon as I called "Group Charleston" on 2182 he came right up.

generally the 'stations' wait to see if 'activities' will pick up the
call. if activities does not, the station hearing someone calling
'coast guard' will respond on the 2nd or 3rd call.

Bob, there could be exceptions, but Group and Activity are the only USCG
levels manning SSB for 2182 watch. Stations are VHF only. Starting very
soon, there will be no more use of the words Group or Actvities. As the
Marine Safety Office (MSO) merge with existing Groups and Activities, all
future descripton of those units will be "Sector". Each Sector will then
control several Stations as they presently do under the title Group or
Activites, etc.

Best regards,

Jack Painter
Virginia Beach, Va