Gary Schafer

Default SSB Antenna connection

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 14:56:44 -0400, "Jack Painter"
wrote:

Bruce, you're making a totally off the wall argument now, with opposite
assumptions that were never asserted or offered by any of the posters to
this thread. Taking your questions literally as you phrased them would
generate a laugh by all, indeed. If a laugh was your intention, we'll all
have a good one. But I doubt that you are confused about skin effect, or why
a faraday cage works, and specifically what would defeat it's protection
(ie: an opening). So if you seriously think that for instance, a c-clamp
applied across an open end of thin walled copper tubing, contacting the
inner and outer wall in it's grip, would apply voltage differently to the
inside versus the outside of this tubing, then it will be easy to explain
your error in thinking. And since I did not make a joke of your obvious
geometry and math errors in determining the surface area of an object, one
which you continue to be confused about, I would suggest that we either: end
the thread if you do not desire pleasant and professional discussion, or,
omitting the snide comments that do not reflect well on the group or it's
interested participants.

Respectfully,

Jack Painter
Virginia Beach, Va

Oh boy! I just got back from vacation and am just now reading this
stuff.

Jack, Bruce and the others are entirely right. I once had a hard time
figuring out why RF would not flow on the inside of a tube too. It
would seem logical that it would do as you say but it doesn't.

Look up "wave guide beyond cutoff". That will answer your question
about why rf dose not flow on the inside of a tube.

It will flow on the inside for only a very short distance from the
opening. Then it gets canceled. This is how many signal generator
attenuater work.
They use a tube of 6 or so inches long with a sliding probe inside fed
from one end. On the other open end is a fixed pickup probe. When the
movable probe is close to the fixed probe on the other end, maximum
signal coupling is obtained. As the other probe is moved away inside
the tube the signal becomes highly attenuated.

It is operating as a wave guide that is much too small for the
frequency involved. If the tube diameter was made large enough to be a
quarter wave length in diameter then the rf would propagate through
it. But that would be in a different mode than the skin effect
conduction being discussed.

By the way did you know that skin effect even comes into play in 60 hz
distribution systems?

Regards
Gary