Stan Winikoff

Default ENC's are a mystery to me

Seems to me that eventually,someone is going to figure out a way to
use free ENC charts on proprietary chart plotters. I agree with the
analogy to razors and blades or computer printers and replacement
cartridges. But the stuff is out there, free to anyone who wants it,
theoretically as useful as any other system of electronic navigation
charts, so the potential market is there. Stan

Larry W4CSC wrote in message ...
(Stan Winikoff) wrote in
om:

I love to find a consise and readable explaination of Electronic
Navigation Charts put out by NOAA and particularly how to use them on
chartplotters which use cartridges such as C-MAP and how to use them
with PC based computer navigation software.

You don't REALLY think we're gonna let you use free charts on ANY
chartplotter on your boat and put the chart sales ripoff out of business,
do you?

You are allowed to look at them with the free viewer, but any connection to
a useful navigation device just isn't gonna happen. They make more money
selling charts and chart plugs than they do on the equipment!

Silly boy....(c;

Larry

I'm using SeeMyYenc from
http://www.sevencs.com/ from Germany. Works
nice....for a look....as far as it goes.