Larry W4CSC

Default Ham Radio Licenses

"Doug Dotson" wrote in
:

Comments below.

Doug, k3qt
s/v Callista

"Terry King" wrote in message

I believe that 20 years from now, the 'credentialing' that hidebound
'trades' use for self-job-protection will fade even more, and "just-in-
time" Education will supercede the 4-year college model.

I suspect that is true.

The First Class Commercial Radiotelephone license I worked so hard on in
High School is no longer required to fix broadcast transmitters. And the
world has not come to an end. People who can do the job get hired to do
it, and those who can't get fired. Used to be they BOTH had licenses...

I believe that the GROL is required now isn't it?

Nope. No license is required to operate or maintain any radio transmitter
EXCEPT marine or aviation, now. I have a 1st Phone (now expired, dammit)
on my wall I worked very hard to get. I keep the damned GROL giveaway
hidden in a drawer, just because they say I have to have it to work on
marine radios. The old 1st Phone MEANT something to the employers and your
peers. It was a badge of accomplishment. It put you in a fraternity of
technicians with proven skills. GROL is a joke. Just like the Volunteer
Examiner ham licenses, it wouldn't surprise me if you could buy one for
$500 under the table.

By the way, the GMDSS operator and servicer tests are a pain in the
ass....(c;

I passed....

Larry