Meyer[_2_] Meyer[_2_] is offline

Default Brewing economic scandal

On 3/18/2013 6:41 AM, F.O.A.D. wrote:
On 3/18/13 3:20 AM, Eisboch wrote:

"Urin Asshole" wrote in message

On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 00:53:16 -0400, wrote:

On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 23:19:08 -0400, Wayne B
wrote:

Or work your way up the organization from an entry level job, i.e.,
the old fashioned way. The demand for certain technical skills is so
high that any experience at all can get your foot in the door. Once
hired, job performance counts a lot more than education. I've
encountered a surprising number of well educated individuals who just
could not apply their knowledge effectively in a work environment.
Being able to apply what you know, recognizing opportunities and
acting on them in a timely manner is what gets people ahead. There
are also a lot of opportunities in some of the difficult, dirty, blue
collar areas like refrigeration, air conditioning, plumbing, diesel
mechanics, commercial electricians, etc. Those jobs are physically
demanding and require a fair amount of skill but they pay very well
and can lead to having your own business.

I have heard the gloom and doom for anyone who didn't go to college
and every year brings new opportunities for people who do not really
need a degree. Now that we have US companies adopting the German
model of training workers for their particular field, that may be
another path for kids who don't want to start their career with a huge
debt.

Bull****. Just about every study available shows that a college edu
makes a huge salary difference. Maybe you were able to do fine without
one, but that's not the norm any more. You think factory workers are
the future? Jesus H. Christ that's a narrow view.

Degrees and graduate degrees are fine and wonderful but if there are no
jobs to be had (or just a few in very limited fields), not only is the
degree non-productive there is also an almost lifetime level of debt for
many. I have been shocked to learn of how many recent college grads
are unemployed because they cannot find a job and of the number of older
people with degrees and years of experience who are collecting extended
unemployment checks. An economic recovery, if it ever really happens,
isn't going to bring those jobs back.

Check out these statistics:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/moneybuilder/2013/02/01/alarming-number-of-student-loans-are-delinquent/

Things have changed and Wayne is correct, IMO.

There isn't going to be a real economic recovery until there is a
restructuring of our society. Too much of our nation's wealth is in the
hands of the super rich, and the trend in that direction continues. More
then they have since the 19th Century here, workers have become a
disposable commodity, with more of them working without even basic
protections, with a diminishing number of employers providing health
care, with few employers providing defined pensions, et cetera. It's
becoming much more difficult to put away a few dollars when one is
facing a lifetime of really insecure employment, family medical bills,
et cetera. As a society, we're on the downhill part of a roller coaster
ride that sadly leads only to the bottom.

Thank god we have our great protector in the White House, eh?