John Gaquin

Default gas tank question

"F330 GT" wrote in message

And further, a 12 gallon tank full weighs 100lbs plus the weight of the

tank.

A minor point, but that simply isn't true. Gasoline weighs a touch over 6
lbs/gal, + or - a couple of points depending on the temp. But it never
weighs 8.3 lbs/gal

Is that portable or not? If you want to remove it from your boat before

filling
it, fine. Show me where the law requires it, please.

I never did say that any law required such a practice, although there may
well be one somewhere. I might also point out that you ought not wait for
the government to tell you every move to make. What I did say, twice, was
that "...Recommended safety practices are unanimous (in my experience) in
recommending that *portable* fuel tanks be removed from the vessel for
refilling on the dock, thus avoiding potential spillage within the boat..."
Recommended safety practices come from a variety of organizations with
experience in such things, often make great sense, but do not carry the
force of law.

If you can't fill a portable gas tank without spilling it all over your

boat,
maybe you shouldn't be boating.

Spoken like a high school sophomore who thinks accidents can't happen to
him. No further response required.

JG