Jack Painter

Default SSB Antenna connection

"Meindert Sprang" wrote in message
"Jack Painter" wrote in message
news:SR2tc.76990$pJ1.75446@lakeread02...

1. RF feedline from ATU to antenna.

This should be coaxial cable with dialectric and shielding designed for

RF.

Imagine what 2 meters of coax with a capacity of 200pF ( a "load" of about
200 ohms at 4 MHz) does to a high impedance (several kOhms at 4MHz)

antenna
connection: right... almost short circuit it to ground.
NEVER use coax between the ATU and the antenna.

Hi Meindert, I don't understand your reasoning there, sorry. And Doug too,
who referenced a steel ship, which is my reference as well. I have seen
hardline (still 50ohm coax) in shipboard installations using the same Sunair
ATU that I use, connected to the wire HF antennas. It appears (to me) no
different that the ungrounded dipole that I feed with coax from my land
station tuners. I have also fed a longwire with that same tuner/coax
combnation, however the longwire was a grounded antenna, and not simlar to a
insulated backstay of a sailboat.

Best regards,

Jack Painter
Virginia Beach,VA