Bruce in Alaska

Default SSB Antenna connection

In article ,
"Steve (another one)" wrote:

Dear Folks,

What is the recommended wire to connect my insulated backstay to my
AT-120 tuner ? I see references to GTO15 for this purpose in American
publications, but no-one here in the UK seems to know what GTO15 is.
Could someone please suggest an equivalent, or at least a description !

Also if the ground connection has to be broad copper strip because RF
won't run down a wire like a conventional dc current, how can the
antenna be wire ? Doesn't RF have to run along the cable to the base of
the antenna and then up the antenna wire itself ? I'm confused !

Thanks for your help.

Steve

Others have covered the GTO-15 question, very well.

There are a number of reasons that copper strap is used for RF Grounding
in the Maritime Radio Installations. One being, that it is desireable
for the RF Ground to have the lowest possible Impedance at the
transmitted frequency.

Two being, that it is desirable that the surface area of the RF Ground
System be as large as practicable, to maximise coupling to the seawater.

Three being, That RF flows on the surface of the conductor, and more
surface area means lower impedance on the Ground.

The antenna wire isn't supposed to couple into the seawater, but into
the ethos, so it should have the least surface area as can practically
handle the RF Current of the transmitter and be tuned to resonance by
the tuner, and as low of resistance as practicable, so that RF Current
can propagate along it's length.

Bruce in alaska Gary S. can chime in anytime on this.....
--
add a 2 before @