SB

Default Ham Radio Licenses

it IS a small portion....but it's the fun portion isn't it?! LF for those
long tx's?
"Doug Dotson" wrote in message
The CW portions of the bands is a fairly small sliver. I'm sure they
will be released to general use when the code requirement goes
away though.

Doug, k3qt
s/v Callista

"SB" wrote in message
. cable.rogers.com...
well, I wouldn't say we're in the dark ages....we did drop the 12wpm
requirement (except for testers).

I think there should be a qualification for using code....sure, call it

boy scout badge type thing....but I also think there should be something

for
digital tx and whatever else...

I just wish they didn't withhold so much of the band JUST because of
morse....

I've seen independence day....and how morse saved the day!! I think it
should stay to SOME degree!!

"Gordon Wedman" wrote in message
Unfortunately Canada is still in the dark ages. According to the

Industry
Canada web site we currently have 3 classes:

Basic, which has no code requirement but only allows use of

frequencies
above 30 MHz,
Morse Code, which allows use of all ham frequencies, and
Advanced, which allows use of more power and home built transmitters
There is a PDF document for download at
http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/epic/inter.../sf01008e.html

I'm sure we will not drop the code requirement until the US does.

"Stan Winikoff" wrote in message
om...
I have been told that the Morse Code requirement for a Ham license

is
required by international treaty. Others have said the requirement
will soon go by the wayside. I find the written and theory parts of
the Ham exam easy but code is an insurmountable obsticle for me. Any
chance that code will be dropped soon as a requirement for anything
more than a Novice license.