SB

Default Ham Radio Licenses

I thought the US got rid of code but Canada still had it?

I've got my Basic and Advanced qualification but like the OP I found morse
hard to sit and learn.
I admit I've let this hobby slip to the side, and so haven't been paying
attention to new regs....but if Canada doesn't have morse anymore...then
does my Advanced license push me in to all bands? As it is, my advanced
license is little different than the basic license, except I can tx over 1Kw
and work on transmitters ?...

"Vito" wrote in message
"Michael Sutton" wrote
"Doug Dotson" wrote
It is true that the code requirement is part of international treaty.

Not since the last (ITU?) convention just last year. It was dropped and
several countries (Japan & Canada?) quit code testing. The US FCC still
requires 5 wpm for General and Extra (ie, to use HF) but ARRL has

petitioned
FCC to drop it. Don't hold your breath - FCC is OK but is still an

American
bureaucracy so I'm sure anyone here can learn 5 wpm faster than it'll act

on
the petition.

So if you already have your code from Novice at 5wpm, .....

Volunteer Examiners will give you credit if you have proof you passed it -
eg if you have a Novice or a Tech license dated before the advent of

no-code
tech. In fact those who did code + novice written to become Novices, then
took the General written exam to become Techs can apply to get

grandfathered
to General.

BTW, my child bride heads a W5YI VE team that admin's tests every other
month in Fredricksburg VA. If some of you want to take an exam in VA's
No.Neck or Middle Peninsula area she could prolly help.

K3DWW