Doug Dotson

Default USCG and HF SSB, cannot count on being heard?

That's a stupid statement. What do you consider as "most" vessels?
Certainly none of the hundreds I have cruised with over the past
few years.

Doug, k3qt
s/v Callista

"Chris Newport" wrote in message
On Saturday 15 May 2004 12:21 am in rec.boats.electronics BOEING377 wrote:

"No
answer to calls to USCG on 2182, 4125 etc."

That's an unreasonable expectation to assume the USCG would hear a small
boat between Midway and Japan on HF, which is far from our area of
responsibilty. You're on your own out in waters like that, and 2182 or
4125 are for 20-200 mile coverage. Higher frequencies as you used to

call
someone nearer to your locaton, are certainly better for long haul

comms.

This entire thread is getting silly.
HF is deprecated and obselescent.
It is a SOLAS requirement for most vessels to carry satellite comms
when out of VHF range, stop bitching and install the correct kit.

http://www.inmarsat.org/maritimesafety/mss_gmdss.htm

--
My real address is crn (at) netunix (dot) com
WARNING all messages containing attachments or html will be silently