BOEING377

Default USCG and HF SSB, cannot count on being heard?

"No
answer to calls to USCG on 2182, 4125 etc."

That's an unreasonable expectation to assume the USCG would hear a small
boat between Midway and Japan on HF, which is far from our area of
responsibilty. You're on your own out in waters like that, and 2182 or 4125
are for 20-200 mile coverage. Higher frequencies as you used to call someone
nearer to your locaton, are certainly better for long haul comms.

Note the etc., I called on 2, 4, 8, 16 Mhz freqs. Back then (1980s) satcom gear
was just too expensive for most small fishing boats. The US Albacore tuna fleet
is comprised of small boats, usually in the 50-85 ft range. We knew we were on
our own and accepted that risk. None of us expected the USCG to protect us so
far from the US, but it's always worth a try. Another resource that actually
has in some respects superior long range air rescue capabilities compared to
the USCG is the USAF Rescue Squadrons. They have HC 130H aircraft very similar
to the USCG planes, but with a couple of big differences. They can carry
pararescue jumpers who sometimes jump thousands of miles offshore to do
emergency medical work on a ship. Also, the USAF planes carry air refueling
gear and can extend the range of a Blackhawk rescue helo waaay beyoind what the
USCG can fly with their unrefuelable Jayhawks. They have helped in a number of
civilian sea rescues. Not sure how the USCG and the USAF divide tasks, but I
assume that the USAF is contacted by the USCG RCC since the USAF planes do not
normally monitor marine HF SSB freqs. The USAF planes do not normally carry
dropable pumps but they do carry dropable liferafts and can drop a very
impressive large inflatable with a big waterproof outboard which is used by the
pararescue jumpers after they land in the water.