Dick Locke

Default Laptop or Mini-desktop and flat screen?

On Fri, 14 May 2004 02:39:51 GMT, "Vic Fraenckel"
wrote:

Paul,

I am wrestling with the same problem and while not having come to a
conclusion, I have a couple of thoughts.

I have been looking at the Mini ITX and Shuttle Small form factor computers,
but they are of proprietory designs somewhat negating their small size in
the repair catagory.

I got a Book PC (www.buy-a-bookpc.com), an older, Celeron model like
the 6255. It will take two standard PCI cards. It seems to throw out
more heat than I expected but is running reliably. It fits nicely in a
slot on the boat.

A regular tower is way too big. I also have a laptop on board for
backup and taking to shore for internet connections

Power is a problem, of course, on the larger machines but you have to
contend with battery charging on the laptops. Of course you can run a laptop
of your 12 volt buss. It is possible to get PC form facter power supplies
for "desk top" machines that run off of your 12v DC buss which helps
somewhat by eliminating the inverter.

That would be nice. The monitor/TV is also 12v and doing away with the
inverter is a good idea. Do you have details on this?

I know I didn't solve your dilemma but I hope I have helped a little. I will
be interested to see what the community thinks

Vic