Jack Painter

Default need inexpensive marine ssb and ham radio for cruising sailboat.

Doug, let's drop the semantics. Something you plan for in case it happens in
the future is imaginary, it is not real and it does not exist, no matter how
well you pretend it is. Of course we plan for emergencies, but when you
advise the general public to commit an act on the presumption that something
will happen in the future to make it legal, you're too far out on a limb for
me.

Jack

"Doug Dotson" wrote in message
Doug, we never disagreed on that at all. My comments were about the an

act
that involved presumption of a future, non-existent emergency.

You have really lost me now. I prefer to base my plans on a future
possability of a very real emergency.

I am very glad I am a ham. The safety it affords me is far greater than
any provided by the CG or CGA with regard to contacting someone to
dispatch help. Once the CG is contacted then their assistence is some
of the best in the world. Close to shore, the towing services are

excellent.
In my case, I sent an email via Winlink to a station in Dallas, that

message
was forwarded to my friend in Baltimore who called Vessel Assist. 30
minutes later I was contacted on VHF that they were in-transit, 15 or 30
minutes later they were there. That's hard to beat.

Best,

Jack