True North[_2_] True North[_2_] is offline

Default Wal-Mart's continuing problems

On Friday, 1 March 2013 08:42:16 UTC-4, F.O.A.D. wrote:
On 3/1/13 7:32 AM, J Herring wrote:

On Fri, 01 Mar 2013 00:28:27 -0500, wrote:

On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 17:49:32 -0500, "F.O.A.D." wrote:

From Bloomberg

Wal-Mart Stores Inc (WMT), already struggling to woo shoppers

constrained by higher taxes, is “getting worse” at keeping shelves

stocked, the retailer’s U.S. chief told executives, according to minutes

of an officers’ meeting obtained by Bloomberg News.

I suspect Walmart underestimated the recovery. They pride themselves

in having "just in time" delivery of product by analysing sales at

each store right down to the department and item, in real time.

They probably did not stage enough at the distribution centers to fill

those orders. Of course they may have just underestimated "shrinkage"

since the inventory system is based on what goes through the

registers.

In the case of John's ammo, that is a national supply chain problem. I

doubt anyone anticipated the demand but I agree with Harry. It is

likely that as soon as the hoarders have all they think they need

supplies will go to glut and bulk ammo will be cheap again. A am sure

the ammo manufacturers are trying to hit that goldilocks spot too.

Don't make enough and you lose sales. Tool up, make too much and you

may be stuck with that decision for a while (too much product and too

many people).

Our local WalMart got some .45 in today, about 8 boxes - packed with two or three other calibers in

a box. Not even a case of the stuff. But, other than that, they've not had *any* ammo come in for a

week now.

You're right, it's across the board, not just 'WalMart mismanagement' as some would hope. The big

ammo houses on the net all say the same thing, 'out of stock'.

Tim gave me a heads up on a place near him that got in some 9mm. He checked the price, $30 for a box

of 50 - more than double what WalMart is charging, and almost double what the local firing range is

charging.

At 7:32 am on a Friday, Herring's already been to Wal-Mart to see the

clerks there unpack the day's supply of ammo.

Talk about obsessed.

Oh yeah! He's got the fever...gun fever.
I'm concerned for Mrs Herring..she has no idea what danger she's in now.