Larry W4CSC

Default SSB Antenna theory

"Vito" wrote in
:

"Gary Schafer" wrote in message
On Tue, 04 May 2004 15:08:08 -0000, Larry W4CSC

...The 650 W amp melted the solder joints on the core ....

So about 97% of your power is going up in heat in the coils.

If Gary's right then 97% of 650 Watts otta get the coil so hot it
melts solder and ... OY!

That sounds dangerous to me, Larry. I think you otta send the whole
rig to me so I can check it out. With a DD degree I may be the best
qualified (c:

Many hams have made drawings of my little mobile antenna after feeling the
brunt of its force in an all-out horserace between their mobiles and mine.
For having only 20 watts output and being able to shed 630 watts of heat
without glowing red, it does quite well for itself....(c;

The coils get warm to the touch, but not as hot as our expert portends them
to be.....

Below 7 Mhz, where my car chassis groundplane becomes very inefficient,
it's best NOT to lean against the car when the transmitter goes off. A
friend of mine was leaning into the starboard window to see the dash lights
glowing with RF barefoot and got quite a HOT FOOT!.....(c;

Larry W4CSC
QRP means any power under 1KW, right?