Doug Dotson

Default Wind generators

"mitch" wrote in message
m...
Another vote for a KISS. While not as popular as say, the Air Marine,
they are indeed the quietest.

The KISS generates about twice the power as an Air Marine as well.

Although here in American Samoa, the Air Marine units do have value.
My anchored neighbors (one to the east and one to the west) are each
to windward and leeward of me, depending upon summer or winter
conditions. Their Air Marine windmills are my "early warning device",
for as soon as a gust hits 32 to 34 knots, their units "depower", and
the resulting turbine-like WHINE is loud enough to wake me out of a
sound sleep and give me 1 second or 2 notice to "hang on".. Note that
my neighbors are about 70 meters distance...

Even in a reasonable wind they are annoying. The new units are
quieter, but nowhere as quiet as the KISS.

Note that you may want to also order an extra diode/rectifier kit when
you order the unit. Mine was bad out of the box, and (due to mail
schedules here) I have been waiting 3 weeks for a replacement.

Nice thing about the KISS is that the diode pack is an off-the-shelf
Motorola unit that can be bought at most any auto parts store.