Russ Barron

Default Wind generators

On Tue, 4 May 2004 13:49:54 +0100, Nigel wrote:

I'm looking at buying a wind and or towed generator for my boat, the
choices
seem to be Aerogen, Ampair, Duogen or Rutland, does anybody have any
expirience with any of these, or any recomendation for other makes, I'm
based in the UK.

I have a Rutland 913 in use since 1996. It's quiet, does not interfere
with HF radio reception ,it puts out about what the spec.s claim, which is
not much. The tail on the unit is completly worthless. Underway or even
sometimes at anchor it will spin drunkenly about. I made a new tail fin
about 2.5 times the size of the original. The new tail keeps it charging
in everything but light downwind conditions. After about 5 years in the
Florida sun the plastic housing got yellow and brittle and the blades
began showing fibers as the outer plastic powdered away.
A couple of coats of epoxy paint seems to have stopped that process.
If I was buying a new unit now I would look at the KISS. Everyone I talk
to who has one seems happy with it.
Russ Barron