Larry W4CSC

Default VHF Radio Fuse Placement Question

"Doug Dotson" wrote in
:

Of course. I have an 800A T1 fuse close to the battery.

Please change it....if not for the kids, for me. Fuse the battery at 150%
of the maximum normal load on them. Just add up the breakers in the panel,
you'll never draw that much. Make the fuse smaller if the breaker panel is
lightly wired. NO BREAKER PANELS ARE PRIMARY WIRED FOR 800A, unless you're
driving a freighter!

Draw 800A for 60 seconds and I'd bet the batteries will EXPLODE in a
sulfuric acid steam. Wanna try it?

Nothing special about lead-acid. My AGMs and gels will melt a wrench
in pretty short order as well.

Wet cells are "water cooled". AGMs and gels WILL explode in a much SHORTER
time because they are so compact with no chance of any electrolye
circulation. If you short any of them, of course, the acid steam explosion
is nearly instantaneous.

Wanna bet it melts the cheap plastic case?....

Larry