John Gaquin

Default gas tank question

"F330 GT" wrote in message

I've got a "red" auxiliary 18 gallon tank for my 13' Boston Whaler. It's

made
to fit in the rear of the boat and spans the width of about 5'.

We were talking about, and the thread is based upon, the notion of portable
fuel tanks.

If your tank is 5 feet long and weighs over 100 lbs full, it is not
portable. Clearly, it should be properly fastened down, and equipped with a
fill system that complies with CG regs (quoted in another post.).

Six and 12 gallon tanks of a fairly compacted size are readily available in
portable design, and intended for such use. Recommended safety practices
are unanimous (in my experience) in recommending that *portable* fuel tanks
be removed from the vessel for refilling on the dock, thus avoiding
potential spillage within the boat. That's what was being talked about, and
my point simply was that a 12 gallon tank, even though technically
*portable*, would be a fairly heavy slug at 75 pounds or so; a bit much to
be considered *portable* in a realistically practical sense. Hope this
clears it up.

JG