Rick

Default VHF Radio Fuse Placement Question

I guess I'd better move mine too. (:

Doug Dotson wrote:

I guess I had better move my entire breaker panel into the
battery compartment then. All my equipment is protected with breakers.
I only have inline fuses where the manufacturer pre-installed
them in a power cable. If you chooses to mount fuses near the
battery then you better get moisture-proof ones. The atmosphere
near a battery can get pretty corrosive, especially when using the
old liquid lead-acid type batteries. If a fuse is intended to be placed
near the batteries, the why do the pre-made cables for things like
VHF and GPS come with the fuse just a few inched from the
radio? In any case, connecting anything directly to the battery is
gennerally only accepted for a bilge pump.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Chris Newport" wrote in message

On Sunday 02 May 2004 4:21 am in rec.boats.electronics Doug Dotson wrote:

Put it where it is easy to get at and the elements won't attack it.
There is no electrical reason to put it close to the battery.

BLOODY DANGEROUS ADVICE.
The fuse protects the wiring, all circuits should be fused as close as
possible to the battery to prevent the wiring burning in the event of
a short.

--
My real address is crn (at) netunix (dot) com
WARNING all messages containing attachments or html will be silently