True North[_2_] True North[_2_] is offline

Default Death statistics

On Tuesday, February 19, 2013 11:10:15 AM UTC-4, Eisboch wrote:
"iBoaterer" wrote in message

In article ,

says...

For kicks I looked up the leading causes of death in the USA. Data

is the final numbers from 2010 as published by the Center for

Disease

Control.

Surprisingly, firearms related deaths didn't make the top ten and

firearms related homicides weren't even close to the top ten. It's

interesting that deaths caused by traffic accidents numbered about 3

times those of homicides involving firearms, but all the focus is on

more gun control laws.

Personal note: This is not a excuse of deaths caused by firearms,

but

rather an attempt to put it all in perspective.

Heart disease: 597,689

Cancer: 574,743

Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 138,080

Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 129,476

Accidents (unintentional injuries): 120,859

Alzheimer's disease: 83,494

Diabetes: 69,071

Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 50,476

Influenza and Pneumonia: 50,097

Intentional self-harm (suicide): 38,364

Traffic accidents: 33,808

Firearms: 30,470 (19,392 suicides, 11,078 homicides)

Yes, all true, BUT, the thing is, a lot of the natural causes aren't

preventable, and besides, the ONLY one of the above that is

manufactured

to kill is the firearm.

There are millions of gun owners who use, collect and enjoy firearms

who have never killed anything with one, let alone another human.

Realistically, it's a tiny percentage of the population who have and

most of them obtained their weapons illegally.

I am for permits, background checks and I don't object to the taking

of electronic fingerprints for each purchase. But what good does it

do to punish the law abiding population for the actions of a violent

few by limiting the number of purchases and taxing the bananas out of

ammunition?

Limiting to one gun purchase a month is a hardship?
Over 5 short years a person could horde 60 guns??
I'd say one gun a year would be plenty.