Salmonbait[_2_] Salmonbait[_2_] is offline

Default Huge Fire in Puerto Rico

On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 18:05:20 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

"Wayne B" wrote in message
.. .

This probably won't get any publicity back in the states unless there
is major property damage, but right now we have a spectacular view of
a very large fire which has totally encircled a mountain and is
climbing higher. It's a little after sunset and we're anchored a few
miles south east of Salinas which is on the south central coast of
Puerto Rico. Trade winds have been blowing strong out of the east at
15 to 20 kts all day and are fanning the flames. We can easily see
the flames from 3 or 4 miles away.

Hopefully there are no homes or people at risk.

Hopefully it is just the annual burning of the sugar cane fields. We
lived in Ponce for 2 years and when the fields were burned all the
mongoose invaded the military base to escape the fields. Most were
owned by "Don Q" ... the rum manufacturer.

Ponce, Puerto Rico - Wow! If you'd hop on Hwy 2 and follow it around to Isabella, you'd be where I
lived for a year or so before moving onto Ramey AFB, back in the early 50's. At that time Ramey was
populated with B-36's, a loud SOB if there ever was one. As kids, the fun thing to do was go to the
beach at Aguadilla. On almost every Saturday morning, my Dad would roust me out of bed around 4 AM
to go fishing at Lake Dos Bocas. We'd go right by the damn and catch a washtub full of catfish in
about two hours, go home and clean them, and then have a fish fry for the neighborhood. What a
blast. He said that Puerto Ricans weren't into fresh water fishing, which is why the fish were so
plentiful.

I went to third thru fifth grades at Ramey AFB. Wow, old memories.

Salmonbait

--
'Name-calling'...the liberals' answer to a lost argument!

You know you live in a Country run by idiots if...

....hard work and success are rewarded with higher taxes
and government intrusion, while slothful, lazy
behavior is rewarded with EBT cards, WIC checks,
Medicaid, subsidized housing, and free cell phones.