Glenn Ashmore

Default How to Swedge Battery Cable Lugs??

What size alternator? I had to run 350MCM locomotive cable to my
Prosine 2000. (10' run total) Talk about wrasslin' an anaconda in the
bilge. I didn't do those connectors though. I cut the cable to length
and took it all down to the Norfork Southern maintenance barn and got
them to swage it for me. It is really amazing the free help you can get
when you show them a picture of a half finished 45' boat in the
backyard. :-)

Steve wrote:

The movement, if any is from thermal expansion. Things get a little warm
when the charger is cranking out 100 plus amps. However, I think my problem
is a general lack of flex if there isn't exact alignment to the terminal
stud.

I'm presently replacing on DC terminal stud and insulator block on the back
of my Inverter/Charger.. This unit is in a locker, on a slide out shelf. I
must first attach the battery cables to the back of the unit, secure them to
the shelf and slide the unit into place. Appearently there is some slight
movement of the DC cables while I am sliding it into place because twice now
I have ended up with a high resistance connection on the negative terminal.
This over heated the cables, terminal stud and melted the insulator block. I
just machined a new one from insulator material and increased the stud from
5/16" plated steel to 3/8" bronze.

If this problem presists, I will go to insulated buss bars to bring the
connection out from behind the unit. Then the final connections can be made
after the unit is in place. This is what I have done in and around my
battery disconnects, Hi amp circuit breakers and heavy connection terminals.
Works well and looks great.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

--