Doug Dotson

Default ICOM m810 open up for ham bands?

I almost bought a 100W amp for marine VHF when I was in the
Bahamas. They are legal there but they wants way too much money
for it. Didn't seem to have a RX preamp so it seemed to me that
talking to folks that I couldn't hear wasn't worth it

Doug
s/v Callista

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
"Doug Dotson" wrote in
:

Doesn't matter. All rules are suspended in an emergency. Having
a ham enabled rig on board is a good idea even if one does not
have a ham license. Much better chance of reaching a ham than
anyone on Marine SSB in an emergency,

Doug, k3qt
s/v Callista

You can even run more than 25W on VHF to get over the noise of Bubba's
Marina parking boats running 25W from his 90' tower, in an emergency. My
boats have all had a 160W linear amp, made for 2 meters but broadbanded,

in
them for years....

Marinas should all be limited to 1/2 watt from an antenna no taller than
the top of the fuel dock house.....dammit....