Flying Pig[_2_] Flying Pig[_2_] is offline

Default Splashdown in sight...

" Sir Gregory Hall, Esq·" åke wrote in message

The Y valve to the toilet and holding tank (I hear you have installed
one of those, yourself, even),

Heh. I was referring to a toilet and holding tank, WRT your opening
comment.

I don't have a Y-valve. All I have is a 1 1/2"ball valve at the thru-hull
fitting and an in-line, 1 1/2", ball valve on the holding tank side of
the T from the discharge side of my ElectroScan, US Coast Guard
approved Type I MSD. One side of the T goes to the thru-hull while
the other side goes to the 1 1/2" plastic ball valve on the holding
tank side. IOW, in a no-discharge zone I have the option of directing
the flush to the holding tank which will then contain *treated* sewage
which I can legally discharge outside of the no-discharge zone. No
need for pump-out costs and hassles.

I have no leaky hose clamps in the system. My system must be air
tight as to empty the holding tank overboard I use air pressure from
a tire pump on a vent hose Shrader valve fitting to pressurize the
holding tank. Then when I open the hull discharge valve, the treated
tank contents get pushed out of the thru-hull fitting/valve.

That's pretty cool - but, having now gone to that extent, how do you prove,
if boarded, that you have an exclusion from dumping, if it's a regular ball
valve? Our holding tank is a bladder so wouldn't do well with your setup, I
don't think. However, it DOES address the ability to dump when your tank is
under the water line. Do you have a valve in your vent line, as well, to
allow for incoming volume (wouldn't want to be pumping the head against a
pressure already there)? And, ditto that about the ES. Do you have a
large-volume pump you pressurize with (a holding tank holds a lot of volume
of air, too!)?

forward, developed a crack in one of the legs. I have spares, but at the
moment, I have a drip on a different leg. All will be addressed in the
AM.

Stuff gets old and breaks. They don't make it like they used to...

And, therein the problem. I didn't have any leaky clamps, either :{/)

Turns out, before I was finished, that I broke the spare I'd installed (also
with a leak, on a different leg), and in trying to rebuild from the two
OTHERS I had in spares, one of them broke the insides. I gave it up and
ordered a new one of the same general style, but different dimension, which
may help, or may make more difficult, the bend between my PVC in and hose
out to the thru hull, depending on where they aim when I turn the 120 degree
elbow(s). These don't have nipples on the ends, which will make removal of
hose later, if needed, less likely to break something - and, by popping the
lid, can be lifted out of their slots separately, an additional aid to
manipulation...

Engine runs WONDERFULLY, no issues whatsoever at the fuel dock (Lydia
HANDED him the bow line, and I sidled up to the dock sideways so that the
stern line could get the same treatment.),

Shakedowns are to display problems before they become crucial - and the
engine, too, is on the disabled list while I sort out the raw water pump -
so while it's vexing, it's better done here than in the middle of the
Bahamas or worse. After three clamps, and a new hose, along with a new
routing, I gave up and pulled it for rebuild. Back on today after
breakfast, I presume that will have to solve it, because there's nothing
else left.

While I was at it, of course, I changed the impeller. On initial inspection
(it's almost 400 hours old), it appeared perfect. But aggressive flexing of
each vane revealed that one of them had started the splitting process. As I
have literally a half dozen of these, replacing was not a pain. I also have
a couple of spare pumps, and had made a note when I installed this one 4
years ago (that's how much we use the engine, BTW - under 400 hours in 4
years) to rebuild one of them. It turned out to need a total overhaul.
Fortunately, I have all the parts other than a single seal (which I assume
can be found somewhere) to make an entirely new pump, so I'll do that while
I wait for other parts (barbeque regulator being the only other item we're
waiting for).

And, as long as we're stuck here, across from the city marina (see the
tinyurl.com/FlyingPigSpot), we'll enjoy some time with some friends who are
driving through from their boat in Charleston at the FFFF (first friday in
february festival) here in Ft. Pierce.

I bet you're happy to be back on the water. I don't care what anybody
says the life of a lubber is very demeaning.

I didn't find it demeaning, but I certainly agree that it's nicer on the
water.

L8R, y'all

Skip

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

"Believe me, my young friend, there is *nothing*-absolutely nothing-half so
much worth doing as simply messing, messing-about-in-boats; messing about in
boats-or *with* boats.

In or out of 'em, it doesn't matter. Nothing seems really to matter, that's
the charm of it.

Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your
destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never get
anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you never do anything in
particular; and when you've done it there's always something else to do, and
you can do it if you like, but you'd much better not."