Peter Bennett

Default Raymarine C series Opinions

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 14:08:41 -0600, "doubleout"
wrote:

You lost me there. What's VAT? The price was $2,769? Yikes. I'm finding
the C80 on-line anywhere from $1550 - $1700.

Also, which Raystar 120 would I buy? The NMEA or SeaTalk?

Thanks,
Kyle

VAT is "Value Added Tax" - a form of sales tax common in the UK and
Europe.

SeaTalk is a proprietary RayMarine thing - it will allow the RayStar
to talk/listen to other RayMarine instruments.

NMEA-0183 is a more "universal" communications protocol - you can use
it to communicate with a charting program on a notebook computer, a
DSC-capable VHF radio, or a non-RayMarine autopilot (and some
RayMarine pilots).

If you don't have other RAyMarine instruments, I'd recommend the NMEA
option, if you have to choose between them. (My RayMarine autopilot
understands both NMEA and SeaTalk)

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb (at) interchange.ubc.ca