Paul Schilter

Default FYI: Circuit Breaker Safety Recall

Doug,
Again thanks for the information. I wasn't aware of the difference, I
guess that's something I'll have to be on the lookout for when I shop for a
boat.
Paul

"Doug Dotson" wrote in message
The difference I was referring to was in GFCI which is a strictly
an AC device. The bimetal breakers are thermal breakers. Pretty
much obsolete in the boating world. Magnetic breakers seem to
be the norm now. I had a thermal breaker panel on my boat when I bought
it. The whole panel would sometime get almost too hot to touch
when loaded heavily.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Paul Schilter" paulschilter@comcast,dot,net wrote in message
Doug,
Thanks for the correction, I was referring to AC breakers. Although

wasn't aware there are specific breakers for DC. In machine control we

don't
have breakers that are specific to DC or AC. 10 amps is 10 amps

regardless
if it's AC or DC. I believe the breakers I'm familiar with are bimetal

in
nature, if the amps pulled go over their rated value, the bimetal strip
heats up to the point it trips the breaker. The bimetal strip is a

bonded
piece that has one type of metal on one side and a different type on the
other. The metals have a different rate of expansion as it heats up from

the
current passing through it bends in an arc. If it bends far enough it

trips
the breaker. As now the current is stopped, the bimetal cools allowing

the
breaker to be reset.
Paul

"Doug Dotson" wrote in message
I assumed that the dicussion was related to breakers commonly
used on boats. ie Magnetic breakers these days. Breakers that
aren't guaranteed to work more than once would be pretty useless.
I think they are traditionally known as fuses GFCI breakers
are for AC. The T1 breaker that started this thread is for
12 VDC.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Paul Schilter" paulschilter@comcast,dot,net wrote in message
Doug,
All circuit breakers are not designed to be used as switches.

Actually
they aren't guaranteed to work more than once, but I've know them to

work
many times after being tripped repeatedly. They do make circuit

breakers
that are intended to be used as a switch, I believe they have an "S"
designation on the breaker. If I were replacing circuit breakers I'd

get
GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter). They're a bit more but

around
the
water it seems like a good investment.
Paul

"Doug Dotson" wrote in message
Waste of switches. Breakers make fine switches. Don't know where
Larry is coming from on this one (as usual). The problem with the
T1 breaker is it is not idiot proof. If you hold the breaker in

the
on
position it holds the circuit closed rather then interrupting

again
like
normal magnetic breaker will. I believe that the older thermal

breakers
always behaved this way but I'm not sure. In any case, only a

moron
would hold a breaker closed, but then again there seems to be an
unlimited supply of morons on boats these days

Doug
s/v Callista

"Rusty O" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Mine doesn't. All loads are switched or controlled by other than

the
circuit
breakers.

Rusty O