F330 GT

Default gas tank question

Removing a portable tank may be a good idea and I would do it if
practical, but
I can't say I've ever heard it was the law. I could be wrong.

Sec. 183.564 Fuel tank fill system.

(a) Each fuel fill opening must be located so that a gasoline
overflow of up to five gallons per minute for at least five seconds will
not enter the boat when the boat is in its static floating position.
(b) Each hose in the tank fill system must be secured to a pipe,
spud, or hose fitting by:
(1) A swaged sleeve;
(2) A sleeve and threaded insert; or
(3) Two adjacent metallic hose clamps that do not depend solely on
the spring tension of the clamps for compressive force.
(c) Each hose clamp in the tank fill system must be used with a hose
designed for clamps.
(d) Hose clamps used in the tank fill system must:
(1) Have a minimum nominal band width of at least one-half inch; and
(2) Be over the hose and the spud, pipe, or hose fitting.

[CGD 74-209, 42 FR 5950, Jan. 31, 1977, as amended by CGD 81-092, 48 FR
55737, Dec. 15, 1983]

Bill,

I stand corrected, partially.

Those rules are related to the installation and plumbing of onboard tanks. We
can both understand the necessity of strict regulations for boat builders.
Heck, I had a friend that pumped 40 gallons down a rod holder one time. I know
somebody else that put diesel fuel into their water tank. Regulators must do
whatever they can to make fuel systems idiot proof.

Following the letter of that law portable tanks would be illegal. It does imply
certain safety issues, but really doesn't address the filling on portable
tanks.

Can someone actually show a regulation that relates to portable fuel tanks?
Specifically, that they must be filled outside the boat.

Now if I could just get one of you guys to come help me put the damn gas tank
back into the boat.

Barry