Billgran

Default gas tank question

Those "red" auxiliary tanks are made large enough to hold over 40

gallons.as I
recall. You gonna lift 350 lbs and put it in your boat? Not me.

Removing a portable tank may be a good idea and I would do it if

practical, but
I can't say I've ever heard it was the law. I could be wrong.

Barry

Here is the text from the Code of Federal Regulations:

[Code of Federal Regulations]
[Title 33, Volume 2]
[Revised as of July 1, 2001]
From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access
[CITE: 33CFR183.564]

[Page 782]

TITLE 33--NAVIGATION AND NAVIGABLE WATERS

CHAPTER I--COAST GUARD, DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION (CONTINUED)

PART 183--BOATS AND ASSOCIATED EQUIPMENT--Table of Contents

Subpart J--Fuel Systems

Sec. 183.564 Fuel tank fill system.

(a) Each fuel fill opening must be located so that a gasoline
overflow of up to five gallons per minute for at least five seconds will
not enter the boat when the boat is in its static floating position.
(b) Each hose in the tank fill system must be secured to a pipe,
spud, or hose fitting by:
(1) A swaged sleeve;
(2) A sleeve and threaded insert; or
(3) Two adjacent metallic hose clamps that do not depend solely on
the spring tension of the clamps for compressive force.
(c) Each hose clamp in the tank fill system must be used with a hose
designed for clamps.
(d) Hose clamps used in the tank fill system must:
(1) Have a minimum nominal band width of at least one-half inch; and
(2) Be over the hose and the spud, pipe, or hose fitting.

[CGD 74-209, 42 FR 5950, Jan. 31, 1977, as amended by CGD 81-092, 48 FR
55737, Dec. 15, 1983]