Eisboch[_8_] Eisboch[_8_] is offline

Default Generator

"GuzzisRule" wrote in message

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 17:58:04 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

John, the point is that if you are thinking of it for camping use
.... and plan to stay at public campgrounds ... they are most likely
not going to allow use of a generator like that. It's too noisy and
an annoyance to other campers. You might not mind, but others will
definitely complain. Heck, I remember back when we were into the RV
thing for a while. Campsites didn't like you running the generator
that came with the camper.

Apparently my camping use got overlooked. I wouldn't be using it at
campgrounds where electricity is
available, but where I'm either alone or with others on a generator.
I've never, while in
campgrounds in the US, had a need for a generator.

I think the camping comments made by me and others are in response to
your original post where you specifically stated:

"This will be used primarily for camping trips and, if necessary,
emergencies."

I don't see how any of us overlooked anything.

When it comes to generators, you get what you pay for. The one you
are looking at is a cheaply made, Chinese import that has a reputation
for being very short-lived. You may balk at the price of an inverter
based Honda or one of it's Yamaha or Suzuki equivalents, but if you
read some of the reviews and people's experiences of the cheap Chinese
generators you will find that you'll go through several of them while
the better ones are still going strong.

I'd also reconsider if you really need 3kw of portable power. The
inverter design (Honda, Yamaha, etc.) 2000 watt is sufficient for
most camping, boating and emergency power applications if you manage
the load put on it. My EU-2000i easily ran a full sized home
refrigerator, couple of incandescent lights, a Direct TV receiver and
large flat panel TV 24/7 for over a week after hurricane Wilma.
When I wanted to brew a pot of coffee, I temporarily unplugged the
refrigerator, made the coffee, then plugged the refrigerator back in.
All this time it ran on the lower RPM range, automatically kicking up
briefly for a heavier load (like when the refrigerator compressor
kicked on) and then dropped back to it's low RPM range after the
compressor was running. The generator you are looking at runs at
3600 RPM continuously, burning more gas than necessary and, as
previously pointed out, is loud.

The other benefit of an inverter type generator is that the output
voltage is a very clean, sine wave. This is important when powering
sensitive devices like computers.