engsol

Default 2 kw radarbeam

Question:

In the days of yore, did early marine radars ever use klystrons? We used them
in (very) early microwave communications systems. They were a bear to
keep on frequency, and didn't last long.

Maggies are interesting devices. If you've ever torn one apart, it mostly
looks like a machined hunk of steel, which in fact it is, and surprisingly small.
The magnets account for most of the weight.

As to power, I recall that our airborne radar had a peak power output of
2 megaWatts, but the maggie current was only 18 - 20 milliamps. Of course the
high voltage was 20 kV.

What kind of maggie power supply (voltage & current) is normally found in small
marine radars these days?

Norm